SYDNEY, 16 OCTOBER 2017 (TVNZ)–Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has reacted to threats from North Korea and said they would only strengthen Australia’s resolve of “finding a peaceful solution” to tensions on the Korean peninsula.
North Korea had warned Australia that a “disaster” is inevitable, if it continues to follow the US in imposing military, economic and diplomatic pressure on Pyongyang.
“North Korea is entirely responsible for causing tension through its continuing, illegal, ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programmes, threatening strikes on other nations in the region and in defiance of numerous United Nations Security Council resolutions,” said Bishop, speaking in Sydney.
In a statement released on Saturday, North Korea singled out Julie Bishop and accused Australia of “showing dangerous moves of zealously joining the frenzied political and military provocations of the US against the DPRK”.
The statement went on to say that Australia “will not be able to avoid disaster” should it “continue to follow the US in imposing military, economic and diplomatic pressure upon the DPRK”.
Bishop met her South Korean counterpart last week to talk about North Korea’s nuclear and missile programmes.
On Sunday, Bishop ruled out reopening Australia’s embassy in North Korea.
The embassy was closed in 1974….PACNEWS [/restrict]