Dr. Espinola ruled the girls’ death an accident.

Guam – Medical Examiner Dr. Aurelio Espinola has ruled the death of five young girls in last week’s Yigo house fire to be accidental.

Espinola says all five girls died of asphyxia due to smoke and soot inhalation.


The fire broke out in Yigo on a wood and tin structure around 11 pm. Guam Fire Department Spokesman Kevin Reilly says it was an unattended lit candle that sparked the flames.

There were eight people inside the structure at the time but only three were able to escape. All eight were siblings.

The five girls who didn’t make it out in time were between the ages of 3 to 16.

Published in Guam News [/restrict]