A person under investigation (PUI) for COVID-19  in Yap State of Federated States of Micronesia passed away early morning of  Wednesday from  pneumonia, prompting  Governor Henry Falan to issue a curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.

During the day, between the hours of 6:00 am and 7:00 pm,  individuals  may leave their homes to perform needed activities such as food shopping but are  required to limit their movement “by not lingering, to practice social distancing, observe preventative hygiene measures, and not gather in groups.”

“I have issued a Restrictions on Movement of People Decree to prevent movement of all residents of Yap between the hours of 7:00 pm and 6:00 am seven days a week until such time as the restrictions are reviewed,’ he said in a statement yesterday.

The curfew requires all to remain indoors at their places of residence during the curfew hours, and to exercise the recommended measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The fatality was among the three PUIs on Yap’s main island. The Yap government said the individual had no off-island travel history but was sent to isolation upon arrival at Yap State Hospital on April 14 with severe respiratory distress.

The statement said the PUI passed away at 1:00 am the following morning from pneumonia, which is associated with most COVID-19 deaths and said to have moved freely in the community until he fell ill.

 Meanwhile, the two PUI’s that arrived on Yap from Guam on March 18, 2020 were quarantined at the Yap Sports Complex for 14 days before being sent home and were required to remain in self-quarantine for an additional 14 days.

The statement said both disregarded the requirement to remain at home and were seen moving throughout the community during that time.

The two are now in isolation after experiencing COVID-like symptoms.

Specimens were collected from all three patients and were sent yesterday to Guam for testing.    The Yap government said results are expected within 24 to 48 hours after arrival at the lab.

“Contact tracing was implemented for all three individuals to identify those persons with whom they came into contact while moving around the community.”

“We have been very fortunate to have no confirmed cases in Yap so far. But,” he added, “we have been forced to issue this order because our prior requests for people to stay home and practice social distancing and avoid mass gatherings have not been effective.”  (B. Carreon)