Overview:

A days-long search for a missing Peleliu fisherman has ended in tragedy. Authorities confirmed that 64-year-old Hence Ilab was recovered Saturday following an extensive multi-agency operation involving Marine Law Enforcement, police, state rangers and community volunteers. An investigation into the circumstances of the incident is ongoing.

By: Summer Kennard

KOROR, Palau (Feb 16, 2026)— A 64-year-old Peleliu man who was reported missing last week was found dead Saturday following a multi-agency search effort, the Palau Ministry of Justice said.

The man was identified as Hence Ilab, according to Bureau of Public Safety Director Elobt.

Peleliu Police began search efforts at about 7:27 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11, after Ilab was reported missing. The operation included assistance from Peleliu State Rangers, state personnel and community volunteers.

Authorities said Ilab had gone net fishing earlier that day with a male companion. After the companion retrieved the boat, he was unable to locate Ilab and returned to shore to seek help.

Local search operations continued through the early morning hours of Thursday, Feb. 12.

At 8 a.m. Thursday, Marine Law Enforcement launched a coordinated search and rescue operation in coordination with Peleliu Police, other agencies and assisting individuals. Officials said search operations were conducted daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., using Marine Law Enforcement vessels, dive teams and aerial drone support.

At about 2:07 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 14, Peleliu Rangers located Ilab unresponsive in waters near the outer mangrove area of Melchol in Peleliu. Criminal Investigation Division officers recovered the body.

Ilab was transported to Belau National Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival at 4:16 p.m. by the attending physician.

Authorities said the investigation remains ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *