The cause of fire that burned down barracks at Ngmall, Airai resulting in the dead of a Filipino resident in the early morning of new year’s day is said to be electrical in nature according to latest update from the Ministry of Justice.

According to the report, based on electrical expert assessment and interviews with residents, it is believed that the fire was caused by an electrical problem and that there was no foul play involved.

Cause of death of the resident was also confirmed to be due to “smoke inhalation and extreme heat from the fire.”  The victim, Rogelio Fabro’s room was believed to have been the closest room to where fire originated.

The fire consumed the entire barracks including several vehicles that were parked near it.  Fifteen out the sixteen residents escaped the fire but lost all their valuables.

Friends of the occupants as well as Red Cross have helping the victims with food, clothes and other basic necessities.  (L.N. Reklai)