Liners Winners of a New York Magazine contest who were asked to take a well-known statement in a foreign language, change a single letter and provide a definition for the new statement:
- RESPONDEZ S’IL VOUS PLAID Honk if you’re Scottish
- HARLEZ-VOUS FRANCAIS? Can you drive a French motorcycle?
* VENI, VIPI, VICI: I came, I’m a very important person, I conquered. *
COGITO EGGO SUM: I think; therefore I am a waffle. *
RIGOR MORRIS: The cat is dead. *
QUE SERA SERF: Life is feudal *
LEROI EST MORT, JIVE LEROI:
The king is dead. *No kidding.
* POSH MORTEM: Death styles of the rich and famous *
PRO BOZO PUBLICO: Support your local clown
* MONAGE A TROIS: I am three years old *
HASTE CUISINE: Fast French food
* QUIP PRO QUO: A fast retort *
ALOHA OY: Love; greetings
FAREWELL; from such a pain you should never know.
MAZEL TON: Tons of luck
* VISA LA FRANCE: Don’t leave your chateau without it *
CARNE DIEM: Seize the meat [/restrict]