On June 29, commencing at 4:25 p.m. for approximately 15 minutes, Mr. SUGA Yoshihide, Prime Minister of Japan, held a Japan-Palau leaders video teleconference meeting with H.E. Mr. Surangel S. WHIPPS, Jr., President of the Republic of Palau. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- Prime Minister Suga stated that Pacific Island countries such as Palau are important partners to Japan, and that he would like to strengthen relations between the two countries. He also stated that he would like to continue working closely with President Whipps toward a “Free and Open Indo-Pacific.”
- Prime Minister Suga expressed his intention to continue supporting Palau with measures against COVID-19 and others such as the improvement of its maritime security capacity and infrastructure development and to pursue cooperation in the agricultural industry.
- In response, President Whipps expressed his gratitude for Japan’s long-standing support. Both sides concurred on cooperating toward the success of the 9th Pacific Islands Leaders’ Meeting.
- Prime Minister Suga requested cooperation for the stable operation of Japanese fishing vessels and the collection and repatriation of the remains of Japanese soldiers of WWII. The two leaders also exchanged views on regional issues, including the response to North Korea. Prime Minister Suga requested understanding and cooperation for the abduction issue, and received support from President Whipps.
- Prime Minister Suga stated that Japan was taking all possible infection control measures in preparation for hosting the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games in a safe and secure manner. The two leaders concurred to pursue cooperation for the Games.