The PGA Tour’s FedEx Cup playoffs roll on this week with the Deutsche Bank Championship, running from Friday to Labor Day Monday at TPC Boston in Norton, Mass. Rickie Fowler is defending champion, coming off the disappointment of missing the U.S. Ryder Cup team on points at The Barclays.
The top 100 players in the FedEx Cup standings qualified for this event and, come Monday, that field is reduced to 70 players.
Here are our top five players for this week:
- Jason Day — Day has four top-15 finishes in this event in the last five years. He loves the course and is a putting demon.
- Dustin Johnson — D.J. doesn’t have a whole lot to show for himself at TPC Boston, but it’s hard to dislike a guy who has enjoyed the season he’s had.
- Patrick Reed — It was impossible to ignore Reed last week on Long Island, and it’s hard to see why he doesn’t deserve a look again this week. He’s in America Mode.
- Jordan Spieth — Something is just a little off about Spieth’s game right now, but it’s still good enough to finish in the top 15 most weeks.
- Rickie Fowler — The defending champion choked away a chance at The Barclays and a spot on the U.S. Ryder Cup team. He’ll be highly motivated on a course where he has good vibes. [/restrict]